St Heliers Village Shopping Centre

Photo: Sir George Grey Special Collection

While the first stores were established after the wharf was built, the main development is the shopping centre in St Heliers Bay Road and along the waterfront took place as the suburb expanded following the opening of Tamaki Drive in 1931. By 1960 a busy centre included a Fruiterer, Home Cookery, Draper, Picture Theatre, Grocer, Garage, Fishmonger, Chemist, Shoe Shop, Electrical Goods, Butcher, Hairdresser, Land Agent, Post Office, Jeweller, Bootmaker, Seedsman, Beauty Salon and Hardware.