L.J.Keys – Passenger Transport
A horse drawn bus service commenced in 1900 using stables in Wharf Road (now St Heliers Bay Road). This premise became the depot for a motor bus service in 1915 operated by L.J. Keys.This is perhaps the most important business for the Bay’s development. Keys service expanded when Tamaki Drive, The Waterfront road was opened in 1931 which offered a quick trip to town. Keys and St Heliers grew rapidly. The year before he sold out to Auckland Transport Board in 1950, there were 40 “K” buses carrying half a million passengers over fourteen different routes.