After Achilles Point had been named it was proposed that Lady’s Bay be changed to Leander Bay after another ship in the New Zealand Squadron. The proposal was abandoned when it was realised that the bay had been named to honour Sir George Grey’s wife Eliza. In 1935 was chosen as a prospective site for the aircraft terminal because of the deep water location. Although an agreement was signed and some survey work carried out it ultimately came to nothing. This has remained a popular secluded swimming beach.