St Heliers Wharf
St Heliers Wharf and Rest and Remember Memorial Seats In 1882 a wharf 1500 feet (c.450m) long was built out into deep water to allow a specially built ferry, Tongariro, to bring prospective purchasers to buy land. As the settlement developed, a regular ferry service was introduced (1901) and continued until in 1926 the wharf became unsafe and was demolished in 1930.At low tide, look out from the ‘Rest and Remember’ Memorial Seats installed in 2003 to see the rows of wharf stump piles. These seats acknowledge the sacrifice made by the Eastern Bays Community in the first and second World Wars. Photos Ceremony 11 Nov 03.