St Heliers Bay Hotel
Opened in 1889 on the corner of Wharf Road ( now St Heliers Bay Road) and The Strand (Tamaki Drive)and having a Sunday licence made it a popular watering hole for day trippers. With regular ferries St Heliers became a favourite holiday and weekend destination. It also housed St Heliers’ first telephone exchange. In 1910 the hotel became a boarding house until it was destroyed by fire in 1913. The present building (built about 1904) was moved from Onehunga (Royal Hotel) later that year and used as boarding house during the 1920s, Marina Private Hotel in 1946, subsequently Marina Flats with some business use. It was extensively rebuilt in 1997 for its present use as a restaurant.